For the last few years, I’ve been doing my best to make sure that each laptop and desktop monitor I purchase has an excellent quality high-resolution display panel. In general, resolution-wise this means 1920×1200 (WUXGA); however, with the advent of 1080p HDTV’s, I am also seeing some displays at 1920×1080. There are also the ultra-high-end displays (which are quite out of my price range) like the Dell 30″ displays (IE, the 3007WFP) which have a massive native resolution of 2560×1600. With my first 1920×1200 display (a Dell Inspiron 6000), I had lots of issues finding nice wallpapers available at that resolution. Since then, I’ve started using multiple monitors at 1920×1200, and need multi-display wallpapers. I’ve put together a list of sites I have found that offer free high-res backgrounds, and am also starting to post some of my own pictures as wallpapers; I hope you enjoy these and find them helpful! Please feel free to comment with any additional sites, or if there are any specific subjects you’d like to see available as a wallpaper.
As of 2009/Nov/20, I’ve also decided to start offering some of my own backgrounds – I hope you enjoy! Please let me know if you’d like to see other resolutions available.
Background #1: John Cooper of Skillet in front of Pyro (blog post):
- http://www.mandolux.com: A nice variety of wallpapers, including dual-screen and tri-screen wallpapers. Each is available at a crazy number of resolutions, from wussy (1024×768) to extreme (2560×1600). A few of my favorites:
- Cisco/California: A nice shot of Cisco PCB’s
- Scanner/Busted: Assortment of film strips
- Master: A Master Lock doing it’s job. Unfortunately, the door did not.
- STAR: Abstract sprinkler
- Slowness: Fire! Fire! Fire!
- Letter Opener: This is my kind of letter opener
- New Year’s Eve: A beautiful cork
- Axed: No comment!
- http://www.rpeterclark.com/Wallpapers.asp: MacOS and Windows-centric, but still kind of neat.
- http://www.plasmadesign.co.uk/widescreenabstract.htm: Abstract stuff, not my cup of tea, but you might like it!
- http://www.interfacelift.com/wallpaper: One of my favorite wallpaper sites – lets you sort by resolution, which is handy!
- http://www.graffitiwallpaper.com: Nature type stuff, pretty nice.
- http://www.veer.com/ideas/wallpaper/: Lots of various wallpapers, all available in 1920×1200.
- http://1920-1200-wallpaper.blogspot.com/: This is a blog where the author adds things on a regular basis.. nice!
- http://blogs.msdn.com/mswanson/articles/wallpaper.aspx: Tons of macro photos. Beautiful!
If you know of any other great wallpaper sites, please comment!