i will never steam asparagus again

by nc on March 23, 2008 · 6 comments

So, SuperTarget had asparagus on sale for $.99/lb. Tiff and I both love the stuff, so even though it wasn’t in the greatest shape, we picked some up. I usually buy asparagus in the frozen, ready-to-steam bags, and it tastes good. However, this time it was fresh asparagus, and I couldn’t find our steamer. I thought about blanching it, and finally went meh, and tossed the asparagus in a hot skillet with some olive oil and kosher salt. The results were AWESOME. I probably cooked it for 2-3 minutes in total; not long at all.. instead of being kind of mushy, it’s nice and crisp, and the flavor just explodes out of it. I love it.

Tiff prefers the mushy stuff, unfortunately.. ah well, I can mush hers up after I cook mine. ;)

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Kevin March 24, 2008 at 9:40 am

Sweet. I usually broil it, throwing in olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

mush == bad! even the color goes bad if you cook it too long.

nc March 24, 2008 at 9:44 am

I agree.. Tiff likes it that way for some weird reason, though.

I have a hunch that broiling+olive oil would result in about the same yumminess as my technique. ;)

Kevin March 24, 2008 at 4:31 pm

How do you like the frozen stuff? I’ve not tried it… I go for the fresh but often the fresh stuff available at the grocery is really thick – like small trees. I like ‘sparagus like I like my womens – soft, skinny and less than $1 a pound.

nc March 24, 2008 at 4:35 pm

The frozen stuff is… ok. It usually ends up a little stringy, but not too bad. It’s better than no asparagus, but not nearly as good as fresh!

..rummages for Amy’s e-mail address to forward her your comment. ;)

Debby March 28, 2008 at 2:33 pm

Try a bit of garlic with it next time too – fresh if possible :) Garlic + olive oil + kosher (or our preferred sea) salt… mm, so good :) The kids will inhale that stuff!

RMA March 31, 2008 at 6:28 pm

I just clean and trim it, toss it in a dish with some Zesty Italian dressing, cover with plastic wrap, and nuke to al dente. Fast, easy, and oh so tasty.