full suspend/resume *finally* working on my inspiron 6000

by nc on January 12, 2006 · 7 comments

With the current version of the Linux kernel (2.6.15), some patches, and ATI’s fglrx driver version 8.20.8, software suspend/resume *finally* works, with full accelerated graphics support. Woohoo! Uptime on my laptop is now 6 days, and that involves many trips between home and work, and many suspend/resumes.

If you’d like a copy of the scripts I’m using to get suspend working properly, let me know. I can either suspend with a FN-ESC, or by running a script (usually the method I use if I want to shut down the network card and restart it when I resume.)

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Johannes April 12, 2006 at 3:35 am

I saw that you have solved the suspend issue on Inspiron 6000. I have been looking for a solution on that for so long, if you could help me in what to do that would be great!
P.S. i also have the mobility X300 gfx card on my inspiron.
D.S. I have the newest kernel and i have fglrx installed and working

nc April 12, 2006 at 7:08 am

Are you running the patches from http://rtr.ca/dell_i9300/kernel/? That’s all I really had to do to get it working.

Johannes April 12, 2006 at 12:23 pm

Ok, i’ll try that

nc April 12, 2006 at 12:33 pm

Good luck! :)

Johannes April 12, 2006 at 5:11 pm

I am sorry, could you give me more info on how this is done. I have tried to patch with the software supend2 patch but i got a kernel panic something about not finding / partition although it is specified correctly in menu.lst Also i has some error mesg about not having specified a resume2 directory, but i did that both as a kernel option and in the making of the kernel config… After that i tried to apply the patches you have linked to;

1first i DL the kernel on Marks site and all the patches.
2 i unpacked the kernel and moved it to /usr/src
3 trying to apply first patch:
$sudo patch -p0 /directoryofpatch/00_software_suspend2.patch

and nothing happens no error messege or nothing, i had to stop it after like 15minutes with Ctrl+C.
Could you be more specifik on how i should do this? I have tried to google on it but i have not found a solution. I am completely new to applying patches and kernel compiling :/

nc April 12, 2006 at 5:49 pm

Should be ‘patch -p0 < /directoryofpatch/00_software_suspend2.patch', most likely.

Johannes April 12, 2006 at 6:24 pm

I fixed that by moving patches to /usr/src.
1) So now i applied patches with patch -p0